In this heterogeneous architectural set stand the buildings of the Dictatorship period (Estado Novo), especially the Royal Palace dominated by the famous University Tower.
The General Studies (later designated University) were settled in the building known as the Old Studies, where the current General Library stands, and in several other places, particularly in buildings near the Monastery of Santa Cruz.
After the final settlement of the University in this city in 1537, the Royal Palace joined in 1544 all Faculties of the University of Coimbra. This set an end to a itinerant route, for almost three centuries, between Lisbon and Coimbra.
On the left side of the facade lies the Mannerist building, known as College of St. Peter. Its main facade faces the inner courtyard and the Baroque portal, from 1713.