The clock has played a central role in the University daily life for the activities of the institution have long been organised according to it.
The existent, dated 1866-67, is the latest of a long series of clocks. Similarly, its tower replaced, in 1728, another one that had the exact same functions.
According to the Old Statutes, the University clock would always be quarter of hour behind the town clock.
From the four bells in the tower, the best known is the one that faces the river and is famously known as Goat.