Leonardo da Vinci Exhibition (with Program)

Average Tour Duration: 1h

The exhibition "Making knowledge visible" is created from the collection of machines belonging to the former Museum of Science and Technology and is a co-production developed by Exploratório - Centro de Ciência Viva de Coimbra and the Science Museum.

The exhibition will focus on the collection of 12 existing machines at the Science Museum and have their origin in an offer of American company IBM, in 1972, to the former Museum of Science and Technology.

The machines built by IBM in the context of its communication of science are small objects of carpentry created from the drawings of Leonardo da Vinci.

In addition to the machines, reproductions of drawings and drawings, by the Italian inventor, will also be displayed, along with real objects, such as anatomical drawings next to anatomical pieces.



This ticket is only valid when purchased and presented together with the ticket of one of the available Programs of the Tourist Circuit of the University of Coimbra.

The University of Coimbra reserves the right to refuse entry when the criteria described above are not met.

This ticket requires the purchase of a separate Program. Tickets will be checked and validated at the entrance of the Exhibition.

Spaces Opening Hours

Every day

Boiler House

10:00 - 18:00

It is advisable to start the visit at least one hour before closing.

Fare Singular - Base

Adult [from 19 to 64 years old]: €2.50
Senior [65 years old or above]: €1.75
Student [from 19 to 25 years old]: €1.75
Youth [from 13 to 18 years old]: €1.25
Child [from 3 to 13 years old]: €0.00

Included Spaces

Boiler House

The Boiler House, one of the rare examples of Coimbra’s industrial heritage, displays a modern architectural design, sober and functional, a reflection of its original functions. The construction initiated in 1941, when the University Hospital was modernised and expanded the infrastructures for generating thermal energy.The plan for the rehabilitation and renovation of the building preserved its original architectural structures: the interior layout, the accesses, the wide windows and the high chimney, as well as most of the machinery, including two imposing boilers purchased in 1939 from the English company Babcock & Wilcox.Over the old fuel deposit, located on the far southeast side of the building, a new block was constructed to accommodate the different services of the Course of Art Studies of the Department of History, Archeology and Arts of the Faculty of Letters; this block is essentially meant for teaching and for cultural events.