Tower of the University

The University Tower was built between 1728 and 1733 by Italian architect António Canevari, replacing an earlier tower built by João de Ruão in the same location in 1561. Today, it is the ex-libris of the University and the city.

With an approximate height of 34 metres, it was built with the purpose of regulating the University's timetables, using its collection of bells to chime the start and the end of classes.

The most famous of these bells is known as the "Cabra".

Tower of the University

The University Tower was built between 1728 and 1733 by Italian architect António Canevari, replacing an earlier tower built by João de Ruão in the same location in 1561. Today, it is the ex-libris of the University and the city.

With an approximate height of 34 metres, it was built with the purpose of regulating the University's timetables, using its collection of bells to chime the start and the end of classes.

The most famous of these bells is known as the "Cabra".