Chimico Laboratory

The Chemistry Laboratory is the most important Portuguese neoclassical building. Built in the 18th century to teach Experimental Chemistry during the reform of the University started by the Marquess of Pombal. it typifies the enlightenment ideal of pratical science education. Since 2006, it has housed some of the Science Museum's scientific collections, displayed in conjunction with interactive modules. It was awarded the Micheletti Prize in 2008.

One of the oldest Jesuit colleges in the world. Jesus College was essential in missionaries academic training, playing an important role is establishing links between Europe, Africa, Brazil and Asia. After the Jesuit Company was expelled from Portugal in 1759, the College became the centre of the Pombaline Reformation, and was remodelled to incorporate the new Natural Philosophy and Mathematics Faculties.

The Cabinet of Physics arose due to the transfer to Coimbra of the Experimental Physics Department of the Royal College of Nobles in Lisbon. This Cabinet was classified as a Historic Site by the European Physical Society in 2016.

The Natural History Gallery hosts collections of items brought back from Africa, Goa and Brazil during the so-called "philosophical journeys" made in the 19th century by the Portuguese Empire, sponsored by the Crown.

Chimico Laboratory

The Chemistry Laboratory is the most important Portuguese neoclassical building. Built in the 18th century to teach Experimental Chemistry during the reform of the University started by the Marquess of Pombal. it typifies the enlightenment ideal of pratical science education. Since 2006, it has housed some of the Science Museum's scientific collections, displayed in conjunction with interactive modules. It was awarded the Micheletti Prize in 2008.

One of the oldest Jesuit colleges in the world. Jesus College was essential in missionaries academic training, playing an important role is establishing links between Europe, Africa, Brazil and Asia. After the Jesuit Company was expelled from Portugal in 1759, the College became the centre of the Pombaline Reformation, and was remodelled to incorporate the new Natural Philosophy and Mathematics Faculties.

The Cabinet of Physics arose due to the transfer to Coimbra of the Experimental Physics Department of the Royal College of Nobles in Lisbon. This Cabinet was classified as a Historic Site by the European Physical Society in 2016.

The Natural History Gallery hosts collections of items brought back from Africa, Goa and Brazil during the so-called "philosophical journeys" made in the 19th century by the Portuguese Empire, sponsored by the Crown.

Visitors Choice

University with Baroque Library

12.5€

Adult Price

University without Baroque Library

7€

Adult Price